Topica Bounces [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Mon Sep 16 16:56:08 PDT 2002

Hello Wrenches.

Topica, our list host, has a new policy that is already affecting some of you and will nail others soon.

Their new policy will permanently delete members from their mail lists if those member's email deliveries bounce more than 5 times.

This sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it. I will continue to reinstate those of you that bounce, but if you hit that magic 5 mark, you will have to resubscribe to the list.

Here is the message that Topica sent to list owners.

>Dear List Owners,
>
>As many of you know Topica offers the convenience of automated bounce
>handling for your email communications.  Based on a proven set of
>parameters we disable a subscriber when it is determined that the email
>address is permanently or temporarily invalid.
>
>As Topica has grown, we have developed a close relationship with the
>Internet Service Provider community.  Recently we have been working with
>them to address issues that they see due to our increased volume.  We
>often receive complaints from ISPs and other email administrators noting
>that we appear to be repeatedly sending email to accounts that are
>inactive.
>
>We researched this issue and discovered that some of our list owners
>continue to re-enable disabled subscribers several times.  While we feel
>it's reasonable that you may want to re-enable certain subscribers, we
>have determined that re-enabling disabled subscribers more than 5 times
>is considered unreasonable by Internet Service Providers.  We will be
>implementing a process to automatically unsubscribe any subscriber who
>has a disable count which is greater than 5 times.  We will be sending
>an email to any list owner whose list is affected with a list of those
>subscribers that were unsubscribed.  This will give the list owner the
>opportunity to contact those addresses personally if there is any
>concern that the address is still valid.
>
>This change is required by the Internet community at large - and is
>something Topica needs to implement to be a good Internet citizen.  In
>the coming months we will implement these procedures as a permanent
>feature.
>
>If you have any questions please contact us at owner-support at topica.com.
>

>Thanks,
>Scott Nelson
>
>Director of Operations, Topica Inc.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn."
			unknown

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com