Wattsun AZ-300 [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Sep 13 14:54:54 PDT 2002

Travis,

The AZ 300 is a great machine. It's also a really big one! I installed one
on a brush covered hill-side in Santa Barbara County, Ca. with 1.950 Watts
of Sharp 165's on it. We had no access for machinery so the whole thing was
done by hand. If you know the size of the hole, how much cement and the size
and weight of the pole required, you will be suitably impressed! Even though
the axis of the tracker was changed to allow for a "low" mount for the drive
(only 8') we still had to dig and fill with cement a hole 4' diameter and 9'
deep. Because there was no way to install the mast or drive with a crane or
boom truck, I had the 18' X 8" pipe mast cut in two and had heavy flanges
welded on it to allow the thing to be installed in 2 pieces.

It worked great, but took 8 strong guys to do the work, and 3 days to get it
done. Not child's play for sure, but well worth the effort. It tracks on
both drives perfectly and the owners are extremely happy with high system
output. I feel that the current Wattsun's are way better than the Zomeworks
units.

Matt Tritt