California SB1078 [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Sep 4 18:46:03 PDT 2002

California Wrenches,

I need to make a correction to a posting I made about a week ago, which
expressed a concern that prevailing wages may become mandatory for
subsidized solar installations in California that cost $1,000 or more.

I have been examining and researching the changes to the new legislation
which will be signed by the Governor later this week.  Senate Bill 1038
has been merged with SB 1078 and solar and RE installations of $25,000
or more will be considered “public works” and will need prevailing wages
to be paid.  “Alterations” of $15,000 or more and “maintenance” of
$1,000 or more which use public money will also need prevailing wages
paid.

I am trying to find out when these new requirements take effect.  It has
been a few years since I have done a prevailing wage installation and at
that time I had to pay my helper $37.20 per hour plus fringe benefits.
My payroll had to be certified weekly by the State Labor Board and the
time administering this extra paperwork was excessive.  My higher labor
rates increased my liability insurance and workers comp expense as well.
I truly believe this burden placed into the new legislation was
instigated by organized labor.  This levels the playing field as far as
they are concerned but as far as I am concerned the price of solar just
went up.

Please, somebody flame me and show me that I am wrong!

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm