Industry testing (was PV orientation) [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Aug 22 15:56:06 PDT 2002

William,

Funny you should mention consumer reports. We are finally getting going on
our project with the CEC that will be doing reporting similar to the
consumer reports style. Sandia is working with us on the project, but the
idea of multiple orientations is not in the scope of work. Sandia has been
and are testing different inverters, but they often cannot release their
data if the testing is paid for by the client. The purpose of our testing
will be to provide the information to installers and customers so that
better decisions will be made. The other hope is that manufacturers will be
more responsive to customers as a result of the fact that decisions are
being made with better information.

As I have mentioned before, this process is frought with political
alligators, and we really need the support of the Wrench community and their
customers to make this thing a success. Manufacturers have been known to get
very testy when things that smell like truth start to get out. Hopefully we
can change that process and get industry to embrace the process as long
overdue--wish us luck.

Bill.