oh say can you see CA. solar tax credits? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 22 11:27:44 PDT 2002

Kari Smith at Powerlight deserves credit for getting the tax credit info
which I got from Tor Allen. Some of you are familiar with Tor's Rahus
Institute http://www.rahus.org and have a free subscription to Tor's Solar
e-Clips available at http://www.californiasolarcenter.org

John, You are absolutely right about the tax credits creating more jobs and
more state tax revenues. Here is my July 24 letter and email to Governor
Davis. Wrenches, feel free to copy it and send your own letter.

Dear Governor Davis,

Thank you very much for preserving the 15% solar and wind energy system
tax credit (SB17x2). It is clear that suspending the tax credit will not
bring in more taxes. In fact, suspending the tax credit will have a
negative effect because people will not buy solar and wind energy
systems and California renewable energy businesses will suffer which
will result in less tax collections.

In addition, I strongly urge you to support AB58 to remove the "sunset"
provision in California's net metering law. Over the past year, 1 MW net
metering has played a critical role in removing the institutionalized
economic barriers to customer-owned solar electric systems which has
resulted in a more solar industry jobs.

Solar energy is becoming increasingly important to our state's economy.
I commend you for leading California into the solar future.

Sincerely,
Joel Davidson

My apologies to wrenches who have had it up to here with politicians. In the
grand tradition of Michael's end quotes :-)  "Americans have the best
politicians that money can buy." - Will Rogers.

jberdner at sma-america.com wrote:

> Joel:
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
> I have been wondering how much we were really talking about.
> This brings up one additional critically important thing to point out to
> your legislators.
>
> I would suggest to them that the tax credit program is actually a money
> maker for the State.  The argument goes like this:
>
> The tax credit has created more jobs and income for the PV industry.
> These jobs are new jobs that would not exist without the tax credit.
> The PV industry here in California pays taxes.
> The added taxes we pay are more than the tax credit costs.
>
> If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
> please do not hesitate to contact me.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> John Berdner
>
> SMA America, Inc.