PV orientation [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Aug 22 10:08:04 PDT 2002

Joe,

Really good question. I'm unaware of any good studies done on this issue
other than the initial work to validate the incidence angle modifiers for PV
FCHART and other similar programs. Basically it is a function of the sun
angle (which we know very accurately) and the incidence angle modifier of a
PV module. Many crystalline modules have similar IAMs with a few exceptions
on products that focus on the issue of off-angle irradiance. I have found
that a-Si products have very different IAMs so there are variations from
product to product.

The bottom line is that orientation is much less critical than shading. I
just did orientation analyses for California and New York and here are the
results:

These are orientation multipliers for the two states

For New York:

Direct./ oTilt	0o	15o	30o	45o	60o	90o
South			0.87	0.96	1.00	0.98	0.92	0.66
SE,SW			0.87	0.93	0.94	0.91	0.85	0.62
E,W			0.87	0.85	0.81	0.74	0.67	0.49

For California:

Direct./ oTilt	0o	15o	30o	45o	60o	90o
South			0.89	0.97	1.00	0.97	0.89	0.58
SSE,SSW		0.89	0.97	0.99	0.96	0.88	0.59
SE, SW		0.89	0.95	0.96	0.93	0.85	0.60
ESE,WSW		0.89	0.92	0.91	0.87	0.79	0.57
E, W			0.89	0.88	0.84	0.78	0.70	0.52

The punch line is that if you have 10-20% loss due to shading, it is almost
always better to reorient the array toward a part of the sky that is less
shaded (even if it is east or west). That being said, this orientation
information is for annual energy production and not for sizing related to
off-grid, winter-dominated load profiles.

Hope this helps.

Bill.