PV grid-tie output (Was PV roofing material) [RE-wrenches]

keith kcronin at lava.net
Wed Aug 21 17:20:14 PDT 2002

Hello Phil

I recently have installed systems in Hawaii with mixed results.
Depending upon the particular electrical inspector, some liked the
additional meter, some did not.  There take on it is based upon the city
and county electrical code of Honolulu.  It states, you can only have
one additional meter for electrical recharging of electric vehicles.  I
spent some time last week at one of our city councilman's office
drafting an addendum to their code.

My feeling on having an additional meter in close proximity to the
utilities has many benefits.  It allows for the client to see what they
are actually making on their system and watch one meter spinning in
opposite direction from the other.  It also allows statistical data to
be gathered for the utility company to gauge performance over time, in
specific areas of the island.  This data will allow all of us a glimpse
into the future as to semi-determine average output of systems as
opposed to literature from the manufacturers. In Hawaii, all of the
utilities meters have a serial number on them, so there should be no
confusion as to what meter is informational and which is for sending you
a bill for KWH's.

I have attached a document for all to review.  You comments are greatly
appreciated.

Keith Cronin
Island Energy Solutions
318 A Kuulei Road