PV grid-tie output (Was PV roofing material) [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Aug 21 17:06:18 PDT 2002

Travis,
1. We lack Santa Fe figures. Albuquerque is 6.4 average annual hours for a
fixed array at latitude, according to Sandia figures. We extrapolate 85% of
that for Santa Fe, but can't defend that figure. We are 1,200 feet higher
and against mountains that are closer in. Homes that are near the base of
the mountains, as this is, have more clouds.
2. A single large cottonwood on the eastern edge of the property provides
some winter shading, according to our Pathfinder analysis. The client knows
about this, but has not yet trimmed it as he said he would. This affects one
of the four subarrays.
3. Our peak solar seasons are spring and fall, because of high desert summer
monsoons. The period of recording excludes late summer and early fall, which
are peak insolation times. Also, we had about three weeks of about 70% of
normal insolation in June because of smoke from AZ and CO fires. I would
expect these to contribute slightly to the apparent discrepancy.
4. John Wiles says expect 65% overall system efficiency. Most installers
that I have heard use 70%, as do we.
Allan