PV roofing material [RE-wrenches]

Randy Brooks Randy at BrooksSolar.com
Tue Aug 13 14:44:24 PDT 2002

Chris,

We helped install a 20 module Uni-Solar BIPV off grid system last fall.  We
used field applied 116 watt modules that come rolled up.  The owner is also
a Uni-Solar dealer so I don't know about lead times.  I've ordered a few
modules, for a demo setup, and had good delivery times.

Attaching the modules to flat pan, standing seam metal roofing is a bit
tricky.  You should definately have a Uni-Solar trained installer oversee
that task.  You can't un-stick them once attached, so if the module is
crooked and runs up the seam at the bottom there's no fix!  The training is
relatively inexpensive and only takes a few hours.  Contact Steve Hecheroth,
(888-864-7652, steve at renewable.com) Director of BIPV at Bekaert ECD Solar
Systems (makers of Uni-Solar), for info on available training.

Once the modules are attached, the metal roofing is installed normally.
Roofers I worked with liked the pans with the module - the pans were still
light enought for one person to handle, but stiffener so there was less risk
of buckling one.

Otherwise they can are wired like crystalline modules.  To ground the array,
we grounded the roofing pans.

Steve can also connect you with a nearby distributor who can supply costs.

Overall the array went up quickly and looks great.

Hope this information is helpful.

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
Solar Power for People