PV roofing material [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Aug 20 09:52:49 PDT 2002

William,

The primary issue is that all the modules in a single series string must be
in the same orientation so they have the same current output. Putting two
series strings, say--one east and one south, is not a big problem if they
are in parallel. Think about the operating voltage of an illuminated array.
If the series string is any sun at all on it, it will have an operating
voltage very close to a fully illuminated series string--just a whole lot
less current. The MPPT has a more difficult time with partial shading than
with different orientations.

If it is not adding cost, it is fine to have differently oriented sub-arrays
on separate voltage systems, but you will find that they will operate at
similar voltages for much of the day. The caveat is that in the morning or
afternoon, when shading is much more likely, the voltage output will be
affected by the shade, not the angle of the sun.

Hope that helps,

Bill.