PV roofing material [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Aug 20 09:29:30 PDT 2002

William,

The expectations were simply that the installation as a whole produce similarly to a normal, south-facing,
array of similar rated capacity, which it does. It was suggested by the distributor that, since the roof was shallow pitched, and given the relatively high efficiency of the Unisolar modules in utilizing partially shaded sunlight, the aggregate output would be equal to, if not better than a "conventional" crystalline module array of the same rated output.

Since we didn't approach this installation as a scientific experiment with universally recognized measurement practices or recording devices, or even an in-line Watt/hr meter for that matter, I doubt that it will be possible to use the performance of the system in a double-blind study. The MPPT function does not appear befuddled in any way that I or the owner have seen though. He's mainly happy as hell that his electric bill has plummeted over 50% since the system was installed.

I agree that the AES GC 1000 is lacking in self-diagnostics ability! They seem to think that owners and installers will fork out the big bucks to buy their plug-in readout instead of making it part of the inverter.
I suspect that they're wrong in this approach. Yes?

The only testing done as to performance of the system was done with my trusty Fluke 337 and the reduction in energy consumption. I can ask the property owner if he is interested in having his system monitored
for performance, but I have a feeling that he might not be too keen on the idea, But you never know!

Matt

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com