generator question [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Wed Aug 14 08:04:50 PDT 2002

    Just to throw my 2 cents worth in...

I wholeheartedly agree with the 1800 rpm suggestions! They are much quieter
and longer lived than their 3600 rpm counterparts.

AND.....STAY AWAY from Generac!! We have had nothing but headaches with
Generac auto start units. Their control panels are built with self
destructing plastic parts (expensive to replace), their electronic controls
are very "brittle"...aka problematic! And it's almost impossible to reach
the factory for customer support. Our local dealer finally gave me
Generac's "dealer only" 800# if I promised not to tell 'em where I got it!

FYI...we have had excellent results with Kohler and Onan....and the Kohler
units we've used in the past we were able to wire it for full output
(balanced) at 120 VAC.

Roy Butler
Four Winds Renewable Energy
Arkport, NY