generator question [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Aug 14 08:26:28 PDT 2002

Ezra,

Exactly right, except there are a few of the newer Japanese units which run
at somewhere between the two common run-speeds. Those who own them swear by
'em and they usually have a mixed output choice
of 240, 2 legs of 120 or full output 120. It's hard to find too much fault
with that kind of arrangement. I did a sinewave install a couple of years
ago using one of these sets as the prime back-up. The Hz was right on, as
was the voltage, even when a sudden load was applied or removed - barely a
flicker on the Fluke. :-)

The bad thing is that all of the big name Japanese sets are sold in
motorcycle and ATV shops, or big box outlets, and none of these places have
field repair technicians capable of fixing problems on site. All they can do
is take the thing to the shop, which leaves the customer S.O.L. for the
duration of the fix.

Caveat emptor!

Matt

- - - -