Hypalon Cable [RE-wrenches]

Eric Smiley Eric_Smiley at bcit.ca
Thu Jul 18 18:23:21 PDT 2002

Here is an illustration of the arbitrary nature of listings and how
cable manufacturers spend their money.

The Cobra flexible cable that is used extensively below the 49th
parallel for inverter cable doesn't always meet our Canadian Code
requirements because it hasn't been listed with CSA to the same standard
as it is listed with UL.  It may have a UL listing as MTW or THW-2 , but
in Canada it is listed as TEW - which is equipment wire and our code
tables show lower ampacities for TEW.

Example: 4/0 THW-2 in conduit has an ampacity of 260 Amps. That same
cable in Canada, listed as TEW, has an ampacity of 195 Amps. Boy did
that surprise me the first time.

This has everything to do with the cost of obtaining a particular
listing not the actual ability of the cable to perform a specific task.

Fortunately I can get Diesel Locomotive Cable from A.I.W. that has the
right listing and it's actually cheaper than the Cobra.

Eric Smiley
Project Leader
Photovoltaic Energy Applied Research, Technology Centre
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Burnaby Campus

NE25 - 3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada V5G 3H2

phone: 604.432.8657    fax: 604.436.0286
esmiley at bcit.ca             www.tc.bcit.ca

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm