PV output and smoke [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Fri Jul 12 16:28:46 PDT 2002

Dana,

So what's your point?

Bill.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dana Orzel [mailto:slrwrk at ocinet.net]
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 11:08 AM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: PV output and smoke [RE-wrenches]

Dear Bill,

Do you work in the field or just an office and do "Theoretical  Solar
Engineering and Catalogue Sales"?

We have installed and serviced installations by others from sea level to
13,200 Ft. El.  With a snow field reflecting sunlight back up in front of
the array @ 13.2Kft.el. I have seen 45% increases in output on a fixed PV
array with just an old style contactor type charge controller and have still
had to deal with edge of cloud effect  [ another momentary 12 to 15%
increase ] on top of that.

Like wise I have washed down a PV array and seen the output increase 8% to
15% just from removing the dust.
Our experience [ SW Colorado ] with the recent and continuing wildfire [
from AZ. ] smoke has dropped system outputs temporarily by 12% and up to 35%
on a really smokey day. Probably the equivalent of a normal L.A, CA day.

On a really dark cloudy day  when it is getting ready to snow or rain,
system outputs are in the 10% of normal range. Sometimes in the Washington's
Puget Sound region even less output than that.

The truth is what the truth is, smoke goes away when the fire stops, and the
sun always seems to come back out.

Since 1988 designing and in the field keeping clients happy and educated.

"Responsible Technologies For Responsible People."
Dana Orzel  -   slrwrk at ocinet.net
Great Solar Works, Inc.    -   Ridgway, CO
970.626.5253    -    solarwork.com