jet contrails and solar output [RE-wrenches]

Wallace Stahle, Future Elec. Energy Co. wstahle at slonet.org
Fri Jul 12 13:03:04 PDT 2002

I agree its a good thing to keep in mind, but we
> really don't need to put any more fables in customers minds about the
> unpredictability of solar energy. There are already huge misunderstanding
by
> customers that "solar can't work because its too cloudy or foggy here."
The
> fact is it is more predictable than most anything in this life and should
be
> viewed that way by the customer.
>
> Bill Brooks
> Endecon Engineering

Bill and all,

I find interesting the use of the phrase "its a good thing to keep in mind"
by the engineer.  Granted it would be difficult, I assume to quantify the
percentage drop of insolation due to contrails verses that days moisture or
clound content.  But why wouldn't we want to learn how, as predicting power
output in the face of unpredictable changing climatic conditions can only
benefit the confidence level of the specifier and consumer.
As fables go,  how about the one that says a 100 watt module will put out
100 watts?
It may be that we add one more correction factor in regions that have a lot
of jet activity.

There is an interesting article in the current Earth Island Journal that
discusses "chemtrails", the formerly short term, but now lingering contrail
phenomenon.
I can't seem to insert the long link in this reply so will send to list
under separate post.

Take care,
Wally Stahle
Future Electric Energy Co.