Power Factor [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Thu Jun 20 23:42:34 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
As I understand it, Power factor is the ratio between the actual
power delivered to the load and the apparent power which is the
product of (rms) volts and amps.

At 1:20 pm -0600 20/6/02, Ray Walters wrote:
>  My understanding of PF is that it is representative of the lag
>between the peak of the voltage wave with respect to the current
>wave. If both current and voltage peak at the same time, PF = 1.

That is true if the current is sinusoidal.  Power factor is then
cos(phase angle between current and voltage).  Your explanation fits
this case, but there are other cases where apparent power or 'VA' is
greater than real power (watts).

If the current is not sinusoidal (e.g. where it consists of pulses
with high peaks), then you can have a very high rms current without
achieving a high power output, so the power factor can be poor for
this reason rather than due to a leading or lagging phase angle.

For example pwm devices will have poor power factor when using narrow
pulses.  Brief high peaks of current will have much higher rms value
than smooth current.

The usual comment about being ripped to shreds apply here.  Enlighten
me further.
--
Hugh

http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/