Power Factor [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Thu Jun 20 12:20:53 PDT 2002

Hi Travis;

 I can't comment on the Brand's accuracy of power factor, since I have no other equipment to compare measurements with. Santa Claus still hasn't brought me a Fluke 43. My understanding of PF is that it is representative of the lag between the peak of the voltage wave with respect to the current wave. If both current and voltage peak at the same time, PF = 1. If voltage peaks when current is at zero, PF = 0.If voltage peaks positive when current is at max. neg, PF =-1, and the phase angle (the measurement in degrees between the two sine waves) is 180 degrees. My understanding is also that PF is dependent on the load. Because a power source could be called to provide more current (apparent power)than the actual watts would indicate, you can overload a power source without actually exceeding its watt rating. That (again my understanding) is why many generators and inverters are rated in VA (volts x amps) not watts. Anybody feel free to rip my explanation to shreds, I won't take!
 offen
se.

Ray

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com