On grid w/battery [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at jps.net
Tue May 28 12:16:01 PDT 2002

The same is true here in the mountains of Northern California. Typically
the grid goes down for extended periods with nearly every heavy winter
storm. Even when there are no storms outages of several minutes occur more
often than one would think necessary. The power quality here is also quite
poor here so a whole house "UPS" system is worthwhile. Most would gladly
suffer the additional energy overhead (and slight maintenance increase) in
having a batter based grid tie system. Now if someone would come up with a
smarter inverter (i.e. silent sell and non volatile RAM) we would have it
made.

Todd

Jeff Yago wrote:

> "Battery-backed systems sell PV, not the other way around, often. I
> have been
> a proponent of the battery-backed system in the face of almost
> universal
> rejection in the grid-connected PV world because I believe it has very
> real
> "Independence" appeal. Take this from the system and you have taken a
> very
> real benefit from the table."
>
> Bill, we agree.  In Virginia, almost all of our systems are battery
> based and most are still grid tied.  We explain the differences to
> each client and impact on system costs, yet many still want the
> battery.  Most have home offices and the ability to keep their fax,
> computers, and lights operating for a few hours during a power outage
> without the need to start a generator that has no gas and hasn't run
> for over a year is worth it to them.
>
> Jeff Yago
> Dunimis Technology Inc.
> 804-784-0063