Safety at 600v [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Thu May 23 16:25:53 PDT 2002

Summer starts and we’re hot under the collar.

On a typical day I am out installing a 48-volt grid tie system or a
solar pool heater. Very basic stuff.  The Wrenches forum allows me to
learn about higher voltage systems and issues relating to them.  In fact
I look forward to reading each posting as I enjoy continually learning
more.  I sell a few products through my web site, also very basic stuff,
like RV kits.  I hope everyone trying their best to steer potential
solar customers towards systems that are effective and safe can get
along, salesmen and installers.  I have the associated overhead from
being a contractor and I also have to keep working on rooftops to
maintain my lifestyle.  Luckily I like being outdoors.  Office bound
solar salesmen need sources of good and real information, from wrenches.
If a large mail order solar company cares more about immediate profits
than supplying good systems they will hopefully be harassed by angry
customers and eventually go belly up.  Screwed and rightly so.  Not all
salesmen are bad but I have heard that ninety percent of salesmen give
the other 10 percent a bad reputation.  If a salesman has to advise
customers with quotes from Wrenches this will be a serviceable
substitute for hands on knowledge.  Where the real problem lies is that
many wrenches, myself included, do not install systems for people with
boxes full of parts.  I have seen a module manufacturer advertise that
even your mother can install a system.  Perhaps some sales people are
being misinformed by some sources, but we should take pride in providing
real world experience.

We all need to work together to keep our industry respectable.

Graham
(LADWP’s lock out keeps me off the roofs and spending too much time at
my desk)

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm