In-line fuses in J-Boxes [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin solar at eagle-access.net
Thu May 23 16:00:09 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>

At 11:28 PM 5/22/02 -0700, you wrote:
>   if the fuse is in the Jbox The wiring between the parallel connection
> point and the fuse is
> > unprotected.

The series fuse is required to keep the module from becoming hot, not to
protect wiring.  The test by Siemens was to determine how many amps were
required to back feed through the module to make it hot enough to singe
cheese cloth, as I recall.

It is unlikely that a correctly wired system will ever blow a series
fuse.  In wiring situations not related to solar, it is usually understood
that hazards may exist in an incorrectly wired system.

I'm not sure that the series fuse qualifies to protect wiring since it is
not considered to be overcurrent protection for the purpose of Article 690.

Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm