In-line fuses in J-Boxes [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Wed May 22 23:28:27 PDT 2002

Wrenches:

John Berdner said:

>  if the fuse is in the Jbox.
> The wiring between the parallel connection point and the fuse is
> unprotected. This could create a hazard if there was a fault between the
> parallel connection point and the fuse. Depending on the number of
> parallel strings and the size of the wire I think you might need
> additional over current protection to protect the wire.  Since this is
> probably impractical this would argue against fuses in the module jbox.
> There may also be some code accessibility issues with fuses in the jbox.

My opinion is that:

A)  Everything depends on everything else.  Size matters. (J-Boxes, Wires,
Connectors, etc.)
B)  Proper voltage/amperage in-line fuseholders are acceptable in a properly
sized, NEMA exposure rated enclosure. (They've been putting in-line
fuseholders in streetlights for years....behind an unmarked access cover.
When encountered, this is all I've had to say.  Conversation over.)
C)  Once you hit the fuseholder with a string, everything on the paralelled
side of the fuseholder needs to be sized to the cumulative amperage of the
entire paralelled circuit between that point and any other overcurrent
protection device in the circuit.
D)  Higher voltage=lower amperage=smaller
conductors/J-boxes/conduits/etc.=less fusing requirements=less hassle=time
to fish  (Hate to say it John, but I guess this means you...Today, anyway...
:-)  )
E)  This is not just my opinion.

2 cents,

-Matt Lafferty