here we go again [RE-wrenches]

Antony Tersol tony at appliedsolarenergy.com
Thu May 16 08:19:40 PDT 2002

Seems like Dave is just paraphrasing the net-metering law.  Perhaps he
was trying to clarify when customers would be charged.  Perhaps we
should ask for further clarification.  My understanding: the standard
analog meters for normal E1 service are capable of two way measurement
so no problem.  The digital meters used for TOU service are, according
to PG&E, usually calibrated only for measuring consumption by the
customer.  So if a customer is net-metering under TOU, they'll get
dinged for the meter charge of $277, when their meter is
upgraded/replaced.

If PG&E tries to unfairly use the statute, then that's the time to
complain.

Give some credit to Dave.  Since he's become E-Net coordinator, they've
greatly improved PG&E's e-net web page, adding lots of information and
making the forms easily accessible for download.  Any questions I've
emailed him have been answered in very prompt fashion.  Everyone else at
PG&E E-Net have been similarly helpful and very easy to work with.  I
get much better service from PG&E than from one of my vendors that we're
ordering tens of thousands of dollars of equipment from!!

Give some credit to PG&E as well.  A utility is not the evil empire.  It
is made up of lots of people.  Some of them are working diligently in
favor of solar, and there are probably some against it.  A lot of very
good research about distributed generation was done by Tom Hoff (now at
cleanpower, www.clean-power.com) and others while employed by PG&E.

jeff.oldham at realgoods.com wrote:

> I just received this from Dave Ore, PG&E's E-net coordinator:
>
>         *       If your existing electrical meter is not capable of
> measuring the flow of electricity in two directions, you are responsible for
> all expenses involved in purchasing and installing a meter that is able to
> measure electricity flow in two directions.

jeff.oldham at realgoods.com wrote:

> Joel,
> There is not much anyone but the State Assembly can do about it if PG&E is
> going to actually require payment for the meter swap out. It is allowed by
> the State in the net-metering law passed in '98 (AB 1755), to quote Sec. 1.3
>
> "If the existing electrical meter
> of an eligible customer-generator is not capable of measuring the
> flow of electricity in two directions, the customer-generator shall
> be responsible for all expenses involved in purchasing and installing
> a meter that is able to measure electricity flow in two directions."
>
> What can you say?
>
> -jeff

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com