Pv for s/h/w..... [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Thu May 9 12:19:40 PDT 2002

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Smitty smitty at aaasolar.com
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 10:39:41 -0600
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: Re: Pv for s/h/w..... [RE-wrenches]

Kurt, I think in some cases a diversion load is ok, but I basically agree with Tom. Solar thermal is way more cost effective.

Yes, way more efficient but if the home owners are using the water at night and during the early morning prior to going to work, all they are getting out of that big flat-plate collector is one tempering tank of water.  Maybe I should be sizing the T-tank bigger, but at say 80 gallons of storage, and primarily night time/morning usage, a couple hundred watts of PV might heat 80 gallons during a sunny day and it would be less expensive (materials and labor) than doing it with solar thermal.  The component list for such a system would be very short.  Using a 200 watt PV, lets call it 1KWH a day, how much temperature rise would 80 gallons of 48 degree well water see?  Anyone care to do the math on that?

Kurt Nelson

http://mail2web.com/ .

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com