utility obfuscation and obstruction [RE-wrenches]

Larry Brown, Sunmountain sunmountain at netstep.net
Wed May 8 17:08:29 PDT 2002

Wrenches,
I have a customer with an inspected and approved grid-intertie system in the
Hudson Valley of New York that has been locked out at the disconnect switch
since Trace/Xantrax originally lost its UL listing on the SW4024. The PV is
running the house and charging the batteries but no excess power can be sold
back to the utility. There are at least two other inter-tie systems in the
Hudson Valley waiting in the same locked out position.  One of these systems
belongs to Pete Seeger. Trace has been required to perform some special
testing and present it to the Public Service Committee.  They have until May
15 to provide all of the testing data.  Then, this is what I am told by the
Trace people, the five big utiliies get to study the results and report back
to the Public Service Commission. Trace says it will be resolved by the end
of the month but they have been saying that since the UL listing was
originally pulled.  It appears to be a wait and see how long the utilities
can keep these previously approved systems from going back on line.

Larry Brown
Sun Mountain