utility obfuscation and obstruction [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Tue May 7 22:34:55 PDT 2002

I'm definitely with Bob-O on this one.

Most of these lineman's arms are bigger than my waist. It's just not worth
the fight. Choose your battles. Even a $30 switch can often suffice. I'm not
a big fan of the pullout air conditioning switches anyway. I've seen a few
good ones and I've seen some that I wouldn't put on my enemy's doghouse. A
gang-operated, visible-break, load-break-rated, lockable switch (able to
handle a 3/8" utility lock shank) can be as little as $30. Why fight it at
this point. I do believe the day will come when all utility linemen will
understand the capabilities of our wonderful inverters, but until that day,
just install the switch. I actually use my switch a fair amount for service
reasons, and I have to admit that I trust that visible open switch a lot
more than my circuit breaker when I'm touching wires.

Many pullout switches hide the internals so the cover has to be removed to
confirm the visible open anyway. Low priority fight.

Bill.