UL's monopoly [RE-wrenches]

Don Loweburg, Offline i2p at aol.com
Fri May 3 09:02:09 PDT 2002

In a message dated 05/01/2002 12:50:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cfreitas at outbackpower.com writes:

> I want to make a call to all the Wrenches to fight against UL's monopoly
> on listing of products.  Their defacto quasi-governmental status as
> being the only "experts" on approving products to published safety
> standards does not encourage competition and innovation.  If you want
> lower cost products to be available sooner with innovative features and
> capabilities,  then educate your inspectors on OSHA and NRTLs and help
> fight for competition and a level playing field.

Wrenches, Christopher provided much of the background on my UL article (IPP
next HP) --Thanks Christopher. In a nutshell he has very well stated the
issue above. The only real leverage we can exercise is in the market. The
other listings are just as real- we and our customers must exercise our right
to choose.

Don

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm