RE and Regulations, both UL and IEEE [RE-wrenches]

Richard Perez, Home Power magazine richard.perez at homepower.com
Wed May 1 14:33:34 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hello Wrenches

I want to agree with Christopher Freitas on UL being a roadblock in
the way of RE progress. I have no bones to pick with safety and the
necessary function of certifying gear which is safe, I just think
that UL has become reactionary.

And these sort of regulatory problems don't stop with UL. We've also
got specs for grid-tied inverters that are bogus, essentially written
by utilities and rubber stamped by the IEEE.

Here's a preview of a short article which will appear in the
June/July issue of Home Power. I am hoping that Wrenches will lead
the way in getting the standards for utility intertied inverters on
some reasonable and realistic standard.

Get Organized!

Utah just became the 35th state to pass a net metering law. Is our
struggle to bring homemade renewable energy on-grid just about done?
No such luck. As with many legal issues, the devil is in the
details....

At a recent solar business seminar held by Energy Outfitters, more
than 35 RE dealers heard presentations by industry representatives,
including three grid-intertie inverter manufacturers. One of the
major grid-intertie problems discussed was the Institute of
Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 519 and 929 standards.
These standards set power quality and anti-islanding requirements for
grid-intertie inverters, and are included in most state net metering
laws.

Many dealers and manufacturers are finding that grid-intertie
inverters jump off-grid, or even refuse to connect to the grid at
all. When utility grids are undervoltage, overvoltage, or have too
much distortion, inverters programmed to IEEE standards will not
connect.

This isn't a safety issue. Safety is taken care of by other
grid-intertie inverter standards (UL 1741). This is an issue of the
grid's power quality. What we are discovering is that in many areas,
the grid is far too funky to allow inverter intertie. The utilities
are holding our RE inverters to standards that they cannot maintain
themselves!

I view these IEEE standards as just another in a long series of
roadblocks that utilities have put in the way of grid-intertied, RE.
Having a state net metering law is irrelevant if the inverter is held
to standards that will not allow it to connect to the grid. The
further irony is that our grid-connected RE could help the utilities
clean up their grid power quality problems!

It's time to get organized again. The only way to effectively change
this situation is for us, state by state, to question the IEEE
standards. We need to go to our state PUCs and governments, and lobby
for change. I'm sorry that our work didn't end with passing net
metering laws. Now we have to go for the devil in the details.

If you want to help, e-mail me. I'll act as an information
clearinghouse until individual state groups get organized. We've got
some work to do.

Access
Richard Perez, Home Power
mailto:richard.perez at homepower.com