RE and Regulations, both UL and IEEE [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Thu May 2 06:58:57 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>

IEEE is a maddeningly diverse organization of Electrical Engineers, of all
stripes.  I've been a member myself since 1980.  Not particularly pro or
con, mind you, it's just a trade organization.  They have societies that
host conferences on photovoltaics, for the gurus that invented and continue
to perfect this stuff.  When did they become our enemy?

Standards processes can be influenced technically.  Standards regularly
come up for review.  If the inverter manufacturers get together, and make a
good engineering case (with hard data) for why portions of the IEEE
standard are counter-productive, the next revision of the standard might
see some changes.  I'd rather see it done that way than trying to beat the
IEEE over the head in public, particularly with mostly anecdotal evidence,
no matter how accurate it may be.

Every industry bellyaches about UL.  But 100 billion or so times a day,
someone on this planet comes in intimate contact with an electrical
appliance and doesn't get shocked, burned, or electrocuted.  There's a
reason for this, it didn't happen by accident.  Sure, their evaluation
processes are tough, but they work.  I used to design medical sensors that
are put into people's bodies while connected to grounded patient
monitors.  Talk about hoops.  Anyway, they have their methodologies, and
they're pretty technology agnostic about the whole thing.

UL's history is much different than ETL.  UL has always been about public
safety.  ETL originally was about testing in general.  The
internationalization of standards efforts a decade ago, now driven by the
European community, forced major changes at UL.  Now, in the global view,
they're one of many compliance testing agencies, and ETL has become such an
agency itself.  It hasn't been this way for that long, and both
organizations are still adapting to the new realities.  UL's brand name is
still powerful, though, and they aim to keep it that way, I'm sure.

PV is in the big leagues now.  And major league pitching is harder to
hit.  I'd could use a few more hits myself...

John Raynes
RE Solar
Sandy UT
www.raynes.com