PV Combiners (was Trace Charge Controller Ratings) [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Tue Apr 30 21:04:34 PDT 2002

William:

UL and ETL are both Nationally Recognized Testing Labs (NRTL).
>From a code compliance stand point testing by any NRTL will meet the
code requirement for use of Listed equipment.
UL is allot more expensive but they are the most widely recognized and
accepted mark.
UL writes the Standards and is typically much more expensive than ETL.
Since UL writes the Standard they tend to be a little more precise and,
in my experience, they find things others might miss.

Making an assembly of UL components does not mean the assembly is UL
Listed.
You can easily put together a bunch of UL Listed components that can get
you killed.
This is why they have to test the completed assembly before you they
allow you to put the Listing mark on the product.
Some people have gotten away with putting Listed components into Listed
enclosures and pretending the assembly is Listed but this is risky
business.
While it may get by some inspectors, as a group they are becoming more
knowledgeable all the time.

John Wiles tells a story about a house that burned down and the
insurance company refused to pay because they found an unlisted charge
controller.
The charge controller was not the cause of the fire but the insurance
company was looking for any excuse not to pay and unlisted equipment
voided the policy.
Any bets on who the homeowner is going to come after if the insurance
does not pay the claim ?
Want to guess who the insurance company is going after if they do pay
the claim ?

If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.