Off-grid Furnace controls [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Mon Apr 22 17:59:57 PDT 2002

on 4/22/02 9:34 AM, Kirk Herander at kirk at vtsolar.com wrote:

> In regard to the furnace thread, I recently had to remove the phantom load
> effect of a multiple-zone hydronic boiler. Each zone has a dedicated Taco
> circulator instead of a zone valve. The pumps are energized through a Taco
> control box, based on the 24vac t-stat closure for each respective zone. We
> used double pole, single throw line voltage thermostats. The main boiler /
> control 120vac power is paralleled through pole 1 of each thermostat. Pole 2
> of each t-stat is wired into the Taco control box. Whenever there a T-stat
> calls for heat, the boiler and controls are powered up by 120 vac, and the
> the 24 vac closure is made, instructing the individual circulator to turn
> on.
> t-stat part# is Mcmaster-Carr 17395K95
>
> Vermont Solar Engineering - a Xantrex / Trace Certified Dealer
> Kirk Herander
> PO Box 697
> Burlington, VT. 05402
> www.vermontsolar.com
> www.backeastsolar.com
> 800.286.1252 - 802.863.1202
> fax 802.863.7908
>
> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

  How did you get the boiler auto vent damper to close when the AC is
abruptly shut off? The boilers I've used all need a continued supply of
120VAC for about 15 seconds after the thermostat is satisfied to allow time
for the damper to close, thus saving heat. A relay timer can solve this
problem.

Tom Simko
Skyline Solar
Idaho