furnace [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Mon Apr 22 05:55:58 PDT 2002

on 4/21/02 11:14 PM, info at backwoodssolar.com at info at backwoodssolar.com
wrote:

> I have recommended a simple tank type gas water heater for in-floor heating.
> You avoid complex control systems, you avoid pumping water from and to a
> tank during the heating of the water.  You use a small pump and line voltage
> thermostat or thermostat and relay for each zone, not a large pump and zone
> valves.  This works if installed right, and I am not an expert in this
> installations or design.  I do know that many problems are avoided and these
> simple systems have worked well.
> Steve Willey
> Backwoods Solar Electric Systems

 If going the gas heater route as the heat source for the radiant floor loop
you may want to consider using a dual purpose heater with a built in double
wall heat exchanger (Lochinvar and A.O. Smith both make them). This heat
exchanger is not to be confused with a solar thermal tank type heat
exchanger, which is designed to transfer heat INTO the tank, this is
configured and posistioned differently to EXTRACT heat from the tank.
Available in propane or natural gas, will provide DWH from the main tank
storage, while the radiant floor loop is linked to the heat exchanger loop,
its as simple as it gets and code legal. These units also have a high BTU
output burner, 65,000 and up, to provide rapid recovery. With a mixing valve
you can make and store 160 degree water, while running 120 through the DHW
loop, and 100 through the raidiant loop, this gives a larger thermal reserve
in times of heavy load.

Tom

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com