rooftop wiring/grounding [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Sun Apr 14 13:18:58 PDT 2002

Nothing against conduit William, we sometimes use it, and it does result in
a nice project. BUT, we're trying to reduce the cost of our installations
(while maintaining quality and longevity) and a lot of the modules are now
coming with a potted box and two multi-contact leads coming out - no place
to attach conduit to.

In moving toward the wire tray, I think we'll provide the protection of
conduit (wire wil be USE-2), we'll avoid the higher temps in the conduits,
and we'll be faster using the plug and play approach.

Jeff

On Saturday, April 13, 2002 12:22 PM, William Miller
[SMTP:wrmiller at slonet.org] wrote:
> [...]
each
> >project for us by Kensington. To keep them in some sort of order, or at
> >least away from abraision, we had been simply tie-wrapping to supports,
> >etc., but I've not really been pleased with it.
> >
> >We are now going to try out some plastic cable tray which we can fasten
> >directly to the horizontal rack supports. This will give us a nice place
> >tuck all wires, let us get at them if we need to, and should proceed
> >faster. At any rate, it keeps the wires out of harms way.
> >
> >At the end of the rack, we'll transition to a piece of flex (through a
> >multi-wire gland connector) unless the combiner box is within inches of
the
> >end, in which case we would simply let the wires come out the end of the
> >tray.
> >
> >The idea is to make the roof work fast and easy, and as fool proof as
> >possible. (I can be a pretty good test for that some days....)
> >
> >We'll let you know how it works after we do a few.
> >
> >Jeff
> >Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
> >Global Resource Options, LLP
> >A Woman-Owned Limited Liability Partnership
> >4 Kibling Hill Road
> >P.O. Box 161
> >Strafford, Vermont 05072
> >800-374-4494 Toll Free
> >802-765-4632 Phone
> >802-765-9983 Fax
> >global at sover.net
> >http://www.GlobalResourceOptions.com
> >
> >Nextek Certified Distributor
> >SolarWall Certified Distributor
> >Trace Certified Dealer - Charter Member
> >Bergey Windpower Certified Dealer
> >

> >On Friday, April 12, 2002 12:31 AM, Brad Bassett
> >[SMTP:bsbassett at earthlink.net] wrote:
> >> First, I would like to say that I had no intention of denigrating all
> >> California solar installers. Now that I've seen the responses, I
assume
> >> that unprotected home run wiring is not the norm anywhere. That there
> >> are installers that do better work than others will always be true.
> >>
> >> My comment about Washington inspectors has mainly to do with the fact
> >> that outside of the cities, the inspection is done by a state agency,
> >> and they tend to be consistant sticklers. That's OK if you do it right
> >> (and can quote chapter), and have UL listed equipment (no UL = no
> >> acceptance).
> >>
> >> I agree that the wiring between modules is still a concern. I've seen
> >> wires sitting on the roof in many installations, and in the back of my
> >> mind am thinking that an entirely different wiring method needs to be
> >> designed for wiring between modules. The gears are whirring in my
mind,
> >> maybe someday I'll be able to do something about it. I understand why
> >> some agencies are tending toward conduit used everywhere, but this can
> >> be quite a bit of overhead if done with conduit said to be rated for
> >> that use. And as pointed out, conduit can be poorly installed also.
This

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com