Rooftop wiring [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Thu Apr 11 08:17:11 PDT 2002

At 04:24 AM 4/11/02 +0000, you wrote:
>In talking to a well respected solar installer the other day, I learned
>that they considered it OK to run Tray Cable or USE exposed across and
>on the roof of a house from the array, over the eave, and around and
>under and into conduit, without any j-boxes or protection for the wire.
>My question is how prevalent this practice is with solar installers
>around the country. I can't imagine any inspector in Washington state
>would pass such an installation, and am shocked that systems like this
>apparently pass regularly in at least one area of California.
>
>Another question I have is how often do other installers use a ground
>wire to every module, or a star washer on each module and ground the
>rack? What's common practice for grounding arrays?

Brad:

We insist our installations are to the highest standards.  All wiring is
protected in conduit, sized to 1% voltage drop, correctly protected against
over current and ground fault.  Our installations are also aesthetically
pleasing:  all modules are carefully lined up, the equipment is mounted
securely and for efficient conduit connections.  All modules frames are
grounded using rated equipment grounding fasteners.

There are other installers in the area that do not do as meticulous a job
as I do, and I have been hired to repair their work more than once.  There
are also installers that are quite good and I've hired them to assist me on
larger jobs.  I doubt his is unique to any area and I doubt California has
generally shoddy workmanship.

I am also certain that each area has good and bad inspectors.  I've had
inspectors fail to locate all of the equipment even when presented with
system drawings.  I've had inspectors sign off on systems without opening
one box.  I've also had inspectors ask appropriate questions, review the
drawings and specifications, verify ground connections and generally do a
thorough job.  I have lead workshops for local inspection agencies to train
inspectors to do a better job.

Please do not disparage all installers in a geographic area based on rumor.
 It is not good for the industry.

William Miller

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com