Rooftop wiring [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Thu Apr 11 11:10:02 PDT 2002

Brad Bassett wrote:

> Another question I have is how often do other installers use a ground
> wire to every module, or a star washer on each module and ground the
> rack? What's common practice for grounding arrays?

Hey Brad,

I think code says you're supposed to hit every module and I do the
mast/rack as well.  I have heard that part of the reason each module
needs its own ground connection has to do with the resistance of the
anodizing on the AL frames (is the star washer suposed to dig in past
the anodizing?).

I use self drilling/self tapping, hex-head screws that easily drive into
the panel's designated point of ground on the frame, but have heard that
such screws do not meet code, any additional comments?

Kurt Nelson

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm