Lightning Revisited [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Thu Apr 11 06:37:05 PDT 2002

Hi Holt,

I consider proper grounding to be the most important thing about lightning
protection.  Next in order of importance is luck, then finally surge
protection comes in 3rd.  There is plenty of lightning around here and we've
never had a problem on any of our systems.

Proper grounding is long discussion but (for me) it all boils down to all
the metal equipment being bonded together and tied to one ground rod in
conductive (not dry) soil.  If you use multiple ground rods then run a bare
copper wire in the trench outside of the conduit bonding all the ground rods
together.

Travis

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm