Spread sheet on "pay back" for grid-tied PV [RE-wrenches]

David Blecker blecker at earthsys.org
Wed Mar 20 03:40:14 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Bruce,

Have you looked at RET Screen?  Its a nice Excel-based spreadsheet
"program" that can be used to evaluate system performance and cost as well
as greenhouse gas emission reductions.  There are seperate modules for PV,
Wind, Hydro, DSHW, etc.  The project set up can be somewhat data intensive
depending on how obsessive one is, but if you like tinkering with software
models there are worse ways to spend an afternoon.

Its available free of charge from the Candian government and can be found at
http://retscreen.gc.ca.  Hmmm...single payer health care and RE
models?  Ooops...thats another thread.

David

At 08:33 AM 03/01/02 -0800, Bruce Gardiner wrote:
>Does anyone have a spread sheet on the "pay back" figures for grid-tied PV
>systems?  I get many customers asking for such numbers, but I get lost when
>I get into estimating the future cost of utility energy and the time value
>of money. We all know what the pay back is for reduced CO2 emmissions and
>the other environmental benefits of RE, but some potential customers are
>more concerned about the "bottom line".
>Thanks,
>
>Bruce Gardiner
>Acme Electric Solar Systems