Washer troubles [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Sat Mar 16 12:56:36 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Nick,
That is kind of a twist, isn't it? The problems could easily be
voltage or frequency, but not too likely waveform from a genny. I've
seen all manner of grief over the years from generators, especially
when folks are using only one leg of a 120/240V machine. That makes
some of the generator voltage regulation schemes go bonkers. A far
better scenario would be to run both legs through a step down
transformer. Most DIYs also don't know that Inverter/Chargers are FAR
less efficient in the charger mode. The older mod. square waves are
around 50%, so you end up using far more input power than you might
think going to the charger. That could cause a low voltage or
frequency problem. Another possibility might be phase angle. If the
washer is turned on and running when the genny is started or stopped,
there is a phase angle shift that often occurs when the internal
transfer switch clicks over. That shouldn't happen with the SW, but
it will with most others. Obviously, the safest practice would be to
have NOTHING running when starting or stopping, but that's hardly
real world. With a manually started appliance like a washer, however,
your client could easily learn to make it SOP if the problem is
determined to happen during the transfer.
Good Luck, bob-O

--
Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection
PO Box 203, Hornbrook, CA 96044