Interesting, very interesting... [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Wed Feb 27 12:46:48 PST 2002

<x-flowed>

>I finally discovered why a recently installed tracker refused to go East
>in the morning. ....
>
>Here is what was going on... with no sun on the PV's the MPPT was
>squeezing everything it could out of the array and dragging the 48 volt
>panel voltage down to basically just above battery potential. ...

Todd,

Same thing will happen if you try to use Wattsun tracker with a DC
solar pump that does NOT use a controller, like SunCentric and
Floating Submersibles.  (They draw little current at startup and slow
speeds, so they don't need an LCB controller.) They drag voltage down
near zero in very low light. If an LCB is added, it will cure the
problem by holding up the array voltage.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm