Anemometer Options [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar toddcory at jps.net
Mon Feb 18 10:02:09 PST 2002

The NRG unit sounds great. The problem with the Davis product units is that they are designed
to determine wind speed from a close/open (reed) switch arrangement. Switching to a (better)
magnetic coil arrangement would mean redesigning the input signal to readout processor, which
they are resistant to doing.

The latest "fix" I heard they came up with was to change to a more robust reed switch which
they claim will last longer under the constant abuse they get. No wonder they only offer a 90
day warranty, that in itself speaks volumes about their "support" for their product in the
field.

Todd Cory

David Blittersdorf wrote:

> Charlie and all,
>
> Low cost quality anemometers are available. The NRG Maximum #40 anemometer
> sells for $85. (sensor only) is very accurate, durable and reliable. It has become the de-
> facto standard anenometer for the wind industry. We sold over 8000 last year.
>
> It has a teflon bearing system (no ball bearings to fail), is protected from ESD and has a
> 2 year warranty. The signal is an sinewave frequency generated by a rotating
> permanent magnet in a pickup coil.
>
> Our industry tried reed switch anemometers in the early 1980's and they always failed.
> It was especially difficult for my company as we were selling 90' tilt-up met. towers for
> wind measurements. Every time a sensor failed, the tower needed to be tipped down.
> Customers were not pleased!  We decided to take over the distribution and assembly of
> the the #40 and design our own wind direction vane to assure the quality and reliably of
> the sensors being installing on our towers. That has proven to be a very positive move
> for our company and our industry.
>
> BTW: The weather (met.) industry and the wind energy industry are very different in
> their needs and have evolved in different ways. The wind industry needs sensors that
> are low cost, accurate and very reliable. We care about higher winds (above 8 mph)
> and need to survive 120+ mph gusts. We also are a bunch of cheap guys and want low
> cost stuff that works. The met. folks are usually government funded to do weather
> forcasting and have different needs.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Blittersdorf

- - - -