Anemometer Options [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Mon Feb 18 06:00:01 PST 2002

Charlie and all,

Low cost quality anemometers are available. The NRG Maximum #40 anemometer
sells for $85. (sensor only) is very accurate, durable and reliable. It has become the de-
facto standard anenometer for the wind industry. We sold over 8000 last year.

It has a teflon bearing system (no ball bearings to fail), is protected from ESD and has a
2 year warranty. The signal is an sinewave frequency generated by a rotating
permanent magnet in a pickup coil.

Our industry tried reed switch anemometers in the early 1980's and they always failed.
It was especially difficult for my company as we were selling 90' tilt-up met. towers for
wind measurements. Every time a sensor failed, the tower needed to be tipped down.
Customers were not pleased!  We decided to take over the distribution and assembly of
the the #40 and design our own wind direction vane to assure the quality and reliably of
the sensors being installing on our towers. That has proven to be a very positive move
for our company and our industry.

BTW: The weather (met.) industry and the wind energy industry are very different in
their needs and have evolved in different ways. The wind industry needs sensors that
are low cost, accurate and very reliable. We care about higher winds (above 8 mph)
and need to survive 120+ mph gusts. We also are a bunch of cheap guys and want low
cost stuff that works. The met. folks are usually government funded to do weather
forcasting and have different needs.

Regards,

David Blittersdorf

David Blittersdorf