Anemometer Options [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Mon Feb 18 05:41:39 PST 2002

A plug for my companies products. We make professional wind measuring equipment
for the wind energy industry.  Check out the Wind Explorer for data logging for small
wind turbines. I have one on my 10kw Bergey and install one on all the 10kw turbines
we help install. The anemometer is rugged and low cost ($85.) and lasts for many
years. Our equipment carries a 2 year warranty.

I have been in the wind energy measurement business for over 20 years and there is
alot of junk out there. We have not pushed our products in the homeowner side of the
wind business as there is resistant to paying for quality products. You will not have
buyer's remorse with our products. Check out our web site.

www.nrgsystems.com

Regards,

David Blittersdorf
President, NRG Systems

On 16 Feb 2002 at 0:43, Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar wrote:

> Do NOT get the Davis Instruments unit. It is junk. To detect wind speed they use
> the traditional cups connected to a rotating magnet next to a reed switch. Every
> rotation the reed switch opens and closes... as you can imagine it doesn't take
> long (months, to as much as 2 years if you have low winds) for the reed switch
> to fatigue and break, necessitating removal and replacement. I finally got one
> of their techs to admit it is a major problem... "that we are working on". As of
> this date I am on my 5th unit in as many years and they still have no
> alternative, non mechanical switch technology to replace this very poor design.
>
> To top it off they seem totally resistant to admitting it is a poor design and
> waving the replacement fee if it is out of their (3 month?) warranty period. Not
> a very good way to get product endorsements. It was pulling teeth to even
> finally get a tech to admit they are very problematic.
>
> Todd Cory
>

> "Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar" wrote:
>
> > Did I even spell that right?
> >
> > We are getting to ready to install a 10 kW Bergey Excel-S.  The machine is
> > going to be on a 100' guyed tower approximately 300' from the house.  I would
> > like to be able to monitor wind speed in the house.  I'm looking around for a
> > solar powered weather stations with wireless sensors.  I might need to rethink
> > that as I don't want a meteor slamming into this wind turbine.  Also, I think
> > they have no more than a 100' transmitting ability.
> >
> > Any other experience, thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Travis Creswell
>
> - - - -