Taco pump replacements [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Feb 11 00:56:35 PST 2002

Hi Bob,

Let me know what you find out.  I'm guessing that you have an outdoor wood
boiler and 3 zones?  If that's the case you aren't going to find any real
silver bullets for drastically reducing the daily energy needs.  I have left
several of my customers systems like that on AC pumps as the energy
reduction by switching to DC was approximately 25% or less including
inverter losses.  Inverter losses being the bulk of the energy savings.
These are large homes that the inverter never sleeps any way so I couldn't
justify the radical expense and poor availability of DC pumps.

>From memory, as I can't find the napkin that I did the calculations on, the
DC pumps reduced this customers daily kWh need for hydronic space heating
pumping from 2.5 kWh to 1.8ish.  Not an awesome savings by any means.  Then
factor in that the guy is baby sitting an outdoor wood furnace twice daily,
running the gennie a few hours once every few days in the dead of winter
when there isn't much sun any way isn't that big of a deal.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm