Back-fed Circuit Breakers AND $16K 2kW PV SYSTEMS [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 9 09:53:34 PST 2002

Ah, the voice of reason and a clear and simple answer to the sharp
inspector!

Today's L.A. Times has a wonderful editorial titled "Solar Finally Gets
Practical" in big bold type. The editorial promotes PV and reports "DWP
says 1,300 households have gone solar just since last July." The
editorial also says "A $16,000 (2kW) system will cost the homeowner
$8,000."

We get several calls a week for $16k 2kW PV systems. If you are
installing turn-key systems with 32 each SP75 modules, 2 each GC1000
inverters, wire, conduit, disconnect switch, miscellaneous parts and
building permit cost for $16k, I want to hire you. Please contact me
off-list.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson

Matt Lafferty wrote:

> EH and others:
>
> The easiest way I've found to deal with this issue is simple.  First section
> in the NEC.  Right up front, in plain English.
>
> As Bill Brooks has already stated, a "hold-down" is necessary in a battery
> backup situation.
>
> In a purely grid-tied installation, however, the AC circuit is purely an
> Individual Branch Circuit per NEC 100.  (As with all code books, it is
> listed as "Branch Circuit, Individual".)  I have demonstrated the "drop-out"
> to a number of inspectors in the field and reassured them that there are no
> "back-up" provisions.
>
> I did have one sharp inspector question "What's the load, if it's a branch
> circuit?".  My response to him was, "When the sun goes down, the inverter is
> the load".  He's satisfied.  (I know, John B, not much of a load)
>
> To date (over 100 such installs) the Branch Circuit answer has resolved it
> every time.
>
> Pray for Sunshine,
>
> Matt Lafferty
>
> PS - If the panel is that old, an upgrade would be appropriate!

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com