Deka AGM Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 8 08:25:21 PST 2002

Doug - What model Johnson Controls battery and when?

The (big for the tiny PV industry at that time) solar battery fiasco was
in the early 1980s when Arco Solar people promoted shallow cycle
Delco-2000 batteries and M61 30-cell solar modules. I advised them
against using these product in 1982. Others advised against using them
in 1983. Rob Robinson, SolarWest in Santa Barbara, trusted Arco Solar's
engineers and promoted the Delco-2000 and M61. By 1984, SolarWest was
getting complaints about failing batteries that, in part, led to that
company's demise. I think it was in late 1984 or early 1985 when I saw 2
semi-truck loads of Delco-2000 batteries at Arco Solar and asked why
they were getting more of those lousy batteries. I was told that they
were being sent back to Delco because they were no good, but Arco Solar
people never told the public not to use shallow cycle gel cell batteries
or 30-cells modules separately or in combination.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

This email was sent to: michael.welch at homepower.com