Shell and Siemens [RE-wrenches]

David Blecker blecker at earthsys.org
Thu Feb 7 07:35:28 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Wrenches,

For those of you who's purchasing decisions are influenced by more than
just price, read on.

While on the surface, Shell's acquisition of Siemens may appear to be a
good thing for solar in terms of greater capitalization and increased
access to world markets, it does come with a cost.  Shell, along with the
other major oil companies, has a dismal record of alleged human rights
violations through its oil exploration and development activities.  Rather
than offer a long-winded narrative, I would point you to the following
links to learn more:

http://www.moles.org/ProjectUnderground/motherlode/shell/shellgame.html

http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/africa/nigeriabkg1214.htm

http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/oil.html

Our organization does a lot of RE work with Native American communities
with the objective, in part, to offset the economic, environmental and
social damage inflicted from fossil fuel development and use.  While there
are no absolutes, I have found it necessary to select product based not
only on cost and performance, but on the real or perceived ethical
implications of a particular product.

The point is simply that our purchasing or product recommendations DO have
consequences.  Before embracing the Shell-Siemens partnership, realize that
it limits our ability to keep dollars out of the hands of corporations that
have shown little regard for rights of individuals and for the
planet.  Given that most RE installs are not done for purely economical
reasons, its important to be able to inform customers about where their $$
are going.

Now back to our regular programming,
David

David A. Blecker, P.E.  Co-Director, Earth Energy Systems, Ltd.
Phone:	608-424-1870
Toll-Free: 	800-566-3902
Fax:		608-424-1810
e-mail:	blecker at earthsys.org