Is PV Hazardous Waste? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 10:19:56 PST 2002

Bill, thanks for speaking up. I received a First Solar CdTe laminate
that was broken in shipping. (Untempered glass laminates are harder to
handle than somewhat delicate tempered glass laminates, but that's
another subject.) I can confirm that the CdTe stays on the glass. I
encourage all of you to identify sources of misinformation. Ask, "Who
did you hear that from?" and "Where did you read that?" If the person
with the misinformation can not give you a source, then tell them to
stop spreading rumors and lies.

Bill Brooks wrote:

> Jay,
>
> The Cadmium in CdTe is in a compound form and will not be freed in a
> landfill process. The false information about CdTe was distributed primarily
> by manufacturers of a-Si who wanted to kill the technology before it would
> compete with them (it not only competes but completely overwhelms a-Si as a
> superior technology). Interestingly enough, the main company that started
> this misinformation was bought by a company that manufactures CdTe (in
> California with a two letter name starting with B and ending with P) and now
> we don't hear negative statements about the technology from them anymore.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com