Large phantom loads from residential water supply systems [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Tue Jan 29 17:18:58 PST 2002

Of course he should be turning off the breakers one by one and observing
what happens as he does.  An electric water heater that is on would cause
that meter spin "vigorously" even with every other load in the house off.
1,500-2,500 kWh's is by no way an indication of abnormal conditions for an
all electric house with no well.  Are these meters measuring all the
electricity for the house and several barns/outbuildings?  Any customer
owned dusk to dawn nightlights?

Pin hole leaks in the piping not the well casing would cause the pump to
cycle. Right?  Saturated/leaking pressure tanks also cause pump cycling. Bad
or no foot valve combined with no check valve on the surface can increase
cycling.

A leaking (even barely dripping) hot water tap can have staggering effects
on the monthly kWh usage.

Current on the pipes that isn't causing some real havoc elsewhere?  That's a
new one to me but that doesn't mean it can't be common elsewhere and have no
advice on that.  I once was called to fix an electrified propane tank when
the guy from the company was shocked while filling it.  Turns out someone
had changed the water heater element and reversed the ground and one of the
hot legs at the water heater.  That ground was bonded to the propane line
coming into the house.  Fixed that and the problem went away no to mention
he had a lot more hot water after that.

Hope that helped at least a little.

Travis

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com