grounding array/sunny boy [RE-wrenches]

Kent Sheldon kentsheldon at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 15 11:40:38 PST 2002

Phil,

>To me this is Bonding; specifically the "unspliced main bonding jumper
used >to connect the equipment grounding conductor(s) and the
service-disconnect >enclosure to the grounded conductor of the system"
(250-28)....

We have a semantics problem here. I am an engineer. Bonding to me means:
To create a high quality electrical connection between two conductors
(usually a weld bond is best in ground systems). Bonding to me unrelated
with the terms 'electrical ground' or 'earthed safety ground'. The NEC
is unclear in its definition of bonding, and uses it quite freely to
mean both 'point of connection' and 'earthed ground'. I assume this is
because of the various backgrounds of the multitude of authors used to
write the NEC.

In terms of the PV conductor ground called out in NEC 690-41 to 47; this
is an electrical circuit ground point and must only be made at one point
(usually within the inverter) else ground fault current, equivelant to
the Isc of the PV array, will flow.  Safety grounds are not electrical
circuit grounds, therefore, there may be unlimited connection points.

Hope this helps.
Kent Sheldon
Manager, Industrial Power Systems
SMA America