Metal Roofing Grounding [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Tue Jan 15 09:58:38 PST 2002

Kurt wrote>

I am also confused about the requirements of grounding a metal roof
itself.  I see a lot of them out there with no grounding and wonder if
inadvertently grounding the roof through the array frame grounding is a
good deal.

Hey Kurt,

There appears to be a great deal of uncertainty with respect to PV on
metal roofs.

I recently completed a small 2.4 kw residential system on a comp roof.
To pass inspection the inspector had us bond the hot, cold and gas pipes
in 3 locations under the house, replace the existing ground rod (house
was built in the 50's) and run a new 6 ga ground wire to the front of
the house that had to be bonded below the soldered ball valve.  I
expressed to the inspector that  this may perhaps be somewhat excessive.
He stated that the home now has aluminum all over the roof and he is
concerned about the potential for attracting lightening.  When I brought
up the fact that the house next door has a metal roof the inspector said
that it was not connected to the homes electrical system and that he
couldn't imagine passing a PV system installation on a metal roof.  The
inspector admitted that he had only seen one other PV system before (one
of our jobs) and that he was still learning.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm